Sunday, June 02, 2013

Why the sudden burst of writing?

So, yeah, I probably should have posted this one yesterday, and saved yesterday's for today, but meh.

A friend of mine from grad school and I reconnected on facebook a couple of years ago. We met in a creative writing class - a class which convinced me that I'm not much of a writer, at least not in the genres I prefer to read for pleasure. He's now back in Kansas City (where I grew up) and blogging about roller derby, among other things. And a few years ago he challenged himself (and others) to blog every day for the 30 days of June.

It's like NaNoWriMo on a less frighteningly ambitious scale. No specific goals beyond just writing and posting something every day.

This year, I decided to give it a shot, even though I've got a lot going on that would give me an easy out. That's just the thing - it would be an easy out, but precisely because I've got a lot going on, I think writing about it will help me process all the changes. I want to get back into the habit of writing and develop my voice. I have some things that I have grown passionate about over the last decade-plus, and I think they are ideas which deserve to be heard. So this month is a chance to start fleshing them out.

No comments: